[Numpy-discussion] dtype=object behavior change from 0.9.6 to beta 1

Tom Denniston tom.denniston at alum.dartmouth.org
Thu Aug 31 12:00:06 CDT 2006

But i have hetergenious arrays that have numbers and strings and NoneType, etc.

Take for instance:

In [11]: numpy.array([numpy.array([1,'A', None]),
numpy.array([2,2,'Some string'])], dtype=object)
Out[11]:
array([[1, A, None],
       [2, 2, Some string]], dtype=object)

In [12]: numpy.array([numpy.array([1,'A', None]),
numpy.array([2,2,'Some string'])], dtype=object).shape
Out[12]: (2, 3)

Works fine in Numeric and pre beta numpy but in beta numpy versions i get:

In [6]: numpy.array([numpy.array([1,'A', None]),
numpy.array([2,2,'Some string'])], dtype=object)
Out[6]: array([[1 A None], [2 2 Some string]], dtype=object)

In [7]: numpy.array([numpy.array([1,'A', None]),
numpy.array([2,2,'Some string'])], dtype=object).shape
Out[7]: (2,)

But a lists of lists still gives:

In [9]: numpy.array([[1,'A', None], [2,2,'Some string']], dtype=object).shape
Out[9]: (2, 3)

And if you omit the dtype and use a list of arrays then you get a
string array with 2,3 dimensions:
In [11]: numpy.array([numpy.array([1,'A', None]),
numpy.array([2,2,'Some string'])]).shape
Out[11]: (2, 3)

This new behavior strikes me as inconsistent.  One of the things I
love about numpy is the ufuncs, array constructors, etc don't care
about whether you pass a combination of lists, arrays, tuples, etc.
They just know what you _mean_.  And what you _mean_ by a list of
lists, tuple of arrays, list of arrays, etc is very consistent across
constructors and functions.  I think making an exception for
dtype=object introduces a lot of inconsistencies and it isn't clear to
me what is gained.  Does anyone commonly use the array interface in a
manner that this new behavior is actuallly favorable?  I may be
overlooking a common use case or something like that.