[Numpy-discussion] NumPy, shared libraries and ctypes

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 20:47:03 CDT 2006

Bill Baxter wrote:
> Wouldn't it make more sense to just rename the .pyd generated by
> distutils to .dll or .so?  Especially since the .pyd generated by
> distutils won't actually be a python extension module.   This renaming
> could be automated by a simple python script that wraps distutils.  The
> addition of the init{modulename} function could also be done by that
> script.

The strategy of "post-processing" after the setup() is not really robust. I've
encountered a number of packages that try to things like that, and I've never
had one work right.

And no, it won't solve the init{modulename} problem, either. It's a problem that
occurs at build-time, not import-time.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."