[Numpy-discussion] Infinite loop in Numeric-24.2 for eigenvalues

Jim Kleckner jek-cygwin1 at kleckner.net
Wed Aug 9 19:47:30 CDT 2006

Jim Kleckner wrote:
> It seems that this old problem of compiling Numeric is a problem again
> (even on my Linux box, not just cygwin):
>  http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=732520&group_id=1369&atid=301369
>

> (The issue was the dlamch.f code)
>
> The patch recommended to run:
>  python setup.py config
> in order to work around the problem.
>
> Note that this no longer runs and gives the error message:
>  unable to execute _configtest.exe: No such file or directory
>

> The setup.py and customize.py code interact in complex ways with
> Python's build tools.
>
> Anyone out there familiar with these and what is going on?
>
> BTW, it looks as though the default Makefile in python2.4/config dir now
> has -O3 turned on which is stimulating this problem.
>
> Jim

A workaround for this problem in setup.py is to run this simple script
to create the
config.h file that is failing (probably due to the compile flags):

gcc -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g  -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes
-IInclude -IPackages/FFT/Include -IPackages/RNG/Include
-I/usr/include/python2.4 Src/config.c -o mkconfigh
./mkconfigh
mv config.h Src