[Numpy-discussion] Atempt to build numpy-1.0b2 fail on distutils.ccompiler

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 18:33:43 CDT 2006

Yatima Meiji wrote:
> I'm currently running a fresh install of Suse 10.1.  I ran the numpy
> setup script using "python setup.py install" and it fails with this error:
>
> Running from numpy source directory.
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "setup.py", line 89, in ?
>     setup_package()
>   File "setup.py", line 59, in setup_package
>     from numpy.distutils.core import setup
>   File "/home/xxx/numpy-1.0b2/numpy/distutils/__init__.py", line 5, in ?
>     import ccompiler
>   File "/home/xxx/numpy-1.0b2/numpy/distutils/ccompiler.py", line 6, in ?
>     from distutils.ccompiler import *
> ImportError: No module named distutils.ccompiler
>
> I checked ccompiler.py to see what was wrong.  I'm not much of a
> programmer, but it seems strange to have ccompiler.py reference itself.

It's not; it's trying to import from the standard library's distutils.ccompiler
module. Suse, like several other Linux distributions, separates distutils from
the rest of the standard library in a separate package which you will need to
install. It will be called something like python-dev or python-devel.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco