[Numpy-discussion] numpy 0.9.8->1.0b2

David Grant davidgrant at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 16:40:37 CDT 2006

On 8/18/06, Travis Oliphant <oliphant.travis at ieee.org> wrote:
> David Grant wrote:
> > I'm contemplating upgrading to 1.0b2. The main reason is that I am
> > experiencing a major memory leak and before I report a bug I think the
> > developers would appeciate if I was using the most recent version. Am
> > I correct in that the only major change that might actually break my
> > code is that the following functions:
> >
> > take, repeat, sum, product, sometrue, cumsum, cumproduct, ptp, amax,
> > amin, prod, cumprod, mean, std, var
> >
> > now have axis=None as argument?
> Also the default return type is "float" instead of "int".  I've
> highlighted the changes I think might break 0.9.8 code with the NOTE
> annotation on the page of release notes.
> >
> > BTW, how come alter_code2.py (
> > http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/browser/trunk/numpy/oldnumeric/alter_code2.py?rev=HEAD)
> > says in the docstring that it "converts functions that don't give
> > axis= keyword that have changed" but I don't see it actually doing
> > that anywhere in the code?
> Because it isn't done.  The comments are a "this is what it should do".
> If you notice there is a warning on import (probably should be an error).

Oh ok, so maybe a FIXME then... oh well, it's all a question of
personal style, as long as you know what they mean. :-) I see the
warning now...good idea.

I see the "Important changes are denoted with a NOTE:" now in the
release notes now. Finally realizing that I had a scipy wiki account,
I added some more emphasis here for others.

Thanks,
David

--
David Grant