[Numpy-discussion] Release of 1.0b5 this weekend

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Tue Aug 29 15:36:09 CDT 2006

Charles R Harris wrote:

>     The 1.0rc1 release of NumPy will be mid September I suspect.
>
>     Also, I recognize that the default-axis switch is a burden for
>     those who
>     have already transitioned code to use NumPy (for those just
>     starting out
>     it's not a big deal because of the compatibility layer).
>

> I am curious as to why you made this switch. Not complaining, mind.

New-comers to NumPy asked why there were different conventions on the
methods and the functions for the axis argument.  The only reason was
backward compatibility.  Because we had already created a compatibility
layer for code transitioning, that seemed like a weak reason to keep the
current behavior.

The problem is it left early NumPy adopters (including me :-) ) in a bit
of a bind, when it comes to code (like SciPy) that had already been
converted.

Arguments like Fernando's: "it's better to have a bit of pain now, then
regrets later" also were convincing.

-Travis