[Numpy-discussion] Future Python 2.3 support ? - Re: Numpy and Python 2.2 on RHEL3

Robert kxroberto at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 7 10:11:14 CST 2006

Robert Kern wrote:
> David Bogen wrote:
>> All:
>>
>> Is it possible to build Numpy using Python 2.2?  I haven't been able to
>> find anything that explicitly lists the versions of Python with which
>> Numpy functions so I've been working under the assumption that the two
>> bits will mesh together somehow.
>
> numpy requires Python 2.3 .

hope Python2.3 support will not be dropped too early. There is not much cost overall when going from 2.2 to 2.3.
Yet from Py2.3 to Py2.4 there is a tremendous increase in memory footprint, in distributable file sizes, load time, cgi start time, compiler troubles on Win etc. .. - not really balanced by comparable improvements. For most types of practical applications Py2.3 is still the "good Python" for me.

Robert