[Numpy-discussion] Newbie Question, Probability

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 17:14:58 CST 2006

Sven Schreiber wrote:
> So, to put it "pointedly" (if that's the right word...?):
> Numpy should not get small functions from scipy -> because the size of
> scipy doesn't matter -> because scipy's modules will be installable as
> add-ons separately (and because there will be ready-to-use installers);
> however, nobody knows how to actually do that in practice ?

Rather, to put it accurately, numpy should not get large chunks of scipy
functionality that require FORTRAN dependencies for reasons that should be
obvious from that description. scipy.stats.distributions is just such a chunk.

The ancillary point is that I think that, for those who do find the largeness
and difficult-to-installness of scipy onerous, the best path forward is to work
on the build process of scipy. And it will take *work* not wishes nor complaints
nor <irony/> tags. And honestly, the more I see the latter, the less motivated I
am to bother with the former.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."