[Numpy-discussion] newbie: attempt at data frame

Vincent Nijs v-nijs at kellogg.northwestern.edu
Wed Dec 27 19:10:45 CST 2006

I just started working on a time-series module/class in scipy/numpy and it
seemed useful to have some of the R data-frame functionality (i.e., select
columns of data based on variable names).

I tried rec-arrays but couldn't get them to work the way I wanted. I also
looked at the Dataframe class by Andrew Straw but at over 400 lines of code
that seemed pretty complicated, to me at least.

I searched the mailing-list archives and found a discussion on 'Table like
array' (see exert below). To get the minimal functionality discussed, I
wrote a simple class (see attached) to try and implement X.get('a','c')
where 'a' and 'c' are variables names linked to columns of data in X.

I added some test code so that if you run the code in the attachment you
will see that is seems to work. However, since this is my first class I'd
appreciate your input on the approach I used and any suggestions on how to
improve the class (or use something else). I'd like to read the data and
variable names directly from a single csv file. I tried this through the
python csv module but it would read all data as strings and I couldn't
figure out how to easily separate the variable names and the data.

Thanks,

Vincent