[Numpy-discussion] numpy install on mac os x 10.4

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Sun Dec 31 01:02:19 CST 2006

belinda thom wrote:

> Advice on a painless way to install scipy on my G5 OS X 10.4.8 mac
> greatly appreciated.

Sorry, there isn't one at this point -- I think numpy, SciPy, MPL, and
wx are all fairly stable right now, so it's a pretty good time to do it,
but it's a challenge because:

1) SciPy, MPL, numpy and wx all have to be compatible -- so it's best if
the same person does them all, or at least communicates enough to make
sure the packages at pythonmac all match.

2) Building MPL requires the Universal version of a few libs (though
libpng may be the only one now (or is it libjpeg? -- don't have my Mac
handy), as there MAY be a version of libfreetype that works provided by
Apple now.

This is the hardest one:
3) SciPy (or at least parts of it) requires Fortran. Apple has not
released a gcc Fortran, and the ones that do exist are not Universal,
and require libs in inconvenient places. This makes it hard to build a
Universal, easy to install, binary of SciPy -- It's still hard to build
one yourself, but if you don't need it universal, it is doable by mere
mortals. I'd love to see a Universal one in the pythonmac repository
(and I think with the right incantations of lipo , it should be doable),
but in the meantime, maybe we should at least have separate PPC and
Intel versions-- and is there any chance of either statically linking or
putting the libs in the Python tree somewhere?

So, I'd love to have someone:

Start with Python2.5 from pythonmac (2.4 would be nice too -- but let's
focus on 2.5)

1) Get the latest wxPython for OS-X (2.8.*)
2) Build the latest numpy
3) Build MPL against the above (and Numeric and numarray, if possible)
4) Build SciPy for both Intel and PPC (probably separately)
5) Put all that up on pythonmac.

I'd like to do it, but I'm not the least bit sure when I'll be able to--
someone please beat me to it!

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax