[Numpy-discussion] Re: [SciPy-user] scipy 0.4.6 release?

Ed Schofield schofield at ftw.at
Thu Feb 2 07:39:15 CST 2006

Travis Oliphant wrote:

> Ed Schofield wrote:
>
>> I think this is a good idea.  The most recent release (0.4.4) also isn't
>> compatible with the latest NumPy (0.9.4).  I could work on making a new
>> release this weekend if people agree.
>
> I'll roll out NumPy 0.9.5 at the same time so we have two versions
> that work together.   There have been some bug-fixes and a few (minor)
> feature changes.  But, I am running out of numbers for 1.0 release :-)

That sounds good :)

How about a stream of 1.0 release candidates for Numpy, starting with
1.0-rc1?  For what it's worth, I think we should exercise some patience
and caution before releasing a 1.0 version of NumPy, because this is
likely to signify an API freeze.  The recent dtype changes are a case in
point -- the API is cleaner now, but the change required many small
changes in SciPy.  SciPy is lucky to have helpful developers close to
NumPy too, but some other projects won't be able to respond as quickly
to compatibility-breaking improvements.

Some things I have in mind: stronger type-checking for unsafe casts, and
ensuring operations on matrices return matrices ... ;)

-- Ed