[Numpy-discussion] Matlab page on scipy wiki

Sasha ndarray at mac.com
Thu Feb 9 12:51:02 CST 2006

On 2/9/06, Alan G Isaac <aisaac at american.edu> wrote:
> Unfortunately the SciPy book currently uses the term 'rank'
> in the two conflicting ways.  (It uses 'rank' in the linear
> algebra sense only in the discussion of lstsq on p.145.)
> It might be helpful for the tensor sense to always be
> qualified as 'tensor rank'?

Another alternative would be "number of axes."   I also find a
glossary used by the J language (an APL descendant) useful in array
discussions. See
<http://www.jsoftware.com/books/help/jforc/glossary.htm>.

Here is how J documentation explains the difference in their
terminology and that of the C language: "What C calls an n-dimensional
array of rank i×j×…×k is in J an array of rank n with axes of length
i,j,…,k."  <http://www.jsoftware.com/books/help/jforc/declarations.htm>