[Numpy-discussion] Is there a known problem compiling numpy with VC7? Success

Tim Hochberg tim.hochberg at cox.net
Thu Feb 9 14:46:04 CST 2006

Pearu Peterson wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Feb 2006, Tim Hochberg wrote:
>
>> I had this fantasy that default_lib_dirs would get picked up
>> automagically; however that does not happen. I still ended up putting:
>>
>>           from  numpy.distutils import system_info
>>           library_dirs = system_info.default_lib_dirs
>>           result =
>> config_cmd.try_run(tc,include_dirs=[python_include],
>> library_dirs=library_dirs)
>>
>> into setup.py. Is that acceptable? It's not very elegant.
>

> No, don't use system_info.default_lib_dirs.
>
> Use distutils.sysconfig.get_python_lib() to get the directory that
> contains Python library.

That's the wrong library. Get_python_lib gives you the location of the
python standard library, not the location of python24.lib
<cid:part1.08040607.01040600 at cox.net>. The former being python24/Lib (or
python24/Lib/site-packages depending what options you feed
get_python_lib) 'and the latter being python24/libs on my box.

-tim