[Numpy-discussion] dtype names and titles

Francesc Altet faltet at carabos.com
Mon Feb 13 01:03:03 CST 2006

El dg 12 de 02 del 2006 a les 09:02 +0000, en/na N. Volbers va escriure:
> I still don't understand the reason for keeping two different names.
> IMHO it adds some extra complexity and might be a potential source for
> errors. If I keep an extra title in the array, then I think I should be
> allowed to name it whatever I want. If this is not the case, then I
> would be better off to just have unique field names and keep my extra
> information about the fields in a separate dictionary with the field
> names as keys and the extra information as value. This is my current
> approach, which works quite well; unfortunately the extra information is
> not saved in the array itself.

Yes. I agree that accessing fields by both name and title might become a
common source of confusion. So, in order to avoid problems in the
future, I wouldn't let the users to access the fields by title.

> Is anybody actually using both names and titles?

Not me.

--
>0,0<   Francesc Altet     http://www.carabos.com/
V   V   Cárabos Coop. V.   Enjoy Data