[Numpy-discussion] Simplest ndarray subclass __new__ possible?

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Mon Feb 27 21:53:02 CST 2006

Hi again.

I would like to put together a wiki page about writing ndarray
subclasses because this is obviously a difficult topic, and the
available documentation (e.g. looking at defmatrix) doesn't cover all
-- or even the most common -- uses.

As such, I am trying to put together a "skeleton" ndarray subclass
which has all the basic features (a __new__ that allows for direct
construction of such objects from other data objects, and porpagation
of simple attributes in __array_finalize__).

Right now I am trying to figure out what the minimum complement of
things that need to go into such a __new__ method is. Below is my
first effort, derived from defmatrix. Any help identifying parts of
this code that are unnecessary, or parts that need to be added, would
directly result in a better wiki page once I figure everything out.

Zach