[Numpy-discussion] can't resize ndarray subclass

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Tue Feb 28 13:25:14 CST 2006

Zachary Pincus wrote:

> However a new problem has me nearly tearing my hair out. Calling the
> resize method on an instance of such a subclass works fine. However,
> calling a method that calls 'self.resize' breaks! And worse, it
> breaks in such a way that then subsequent calls to resize also break.

In SVN version of numpy, there is a new keyword argument to resize
(refcheck).  If this keyword argument is 0 (it defaults to 1), the
reference-count check is not performed.  Thus, if you are sure that your
array has not exposed it's memory to another object, then you can set
refcheck=0 and the resize will proceed.

If you really did expose your memory to another object, this could lead
to segfaults in exactly the same way that exposing the memory to a
Python array (array module) and then later resizing (which Python
currently allows) would cause problems.

Be careful...

-Travis