[Numpy-discussion] array shift and |=, copy, and backward operations

Tim Hochberg tim.hochberg at cox.net
Fri Feb 10 12:51:02 CST 2006

Nico wrote:

>Hi!
>
>a = array([0,1,0,0])
>a[1:] |= a[:-1]
>
>gives the unexpected result [0 1 1 1] instead of [0 1 1 0] because
>python performs the |= on the forst cell, then on the second, and so on.
>
>I found two ways to get it right, with a copy:
>b = a.copy()
>a[1:] |= b[:-1]

You could also do:

a[1:] = a[1:] | a[:-1]

This is nearly the same as the copy version, but uses very slightly less
space and is clearer IMO.

>or working backward:
>a[-1:1:-1] |= a[-2:0:-1]
>
>which is better, in terms of speed (and memory management), for large 3D
>arrays?

The backwards version will be better in terms of memory usage and almost
certainly in terms of speed as well since it avoids and extra copy and
should have better locality of reference (also because of no extra
copy). It's a little obscure though. I'd be tempted to do something like.

a_rev = a[::-1]
a_rev[:-1] |= a_rev[1:]
# a holds result.

Another question / suggestion is: are you using a[0]. This looks like an
operation where you may well be throwing away a[0] when you are done
anyway. If that is the case, would it work to use:

a = a[:-1]

This last will give you the same result as the others except that the
first value will be missing.

-tim