[Numpy-discussion] Multiple inheritance from ndarray

Charlie Moad cwmoad at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 12:02:04 CST 2006

Since no one has answered this, I am going to take a whack at it.
Experts feel free to shoot me down.

Here is a sample showing multiple inheritance with a mix of old style
and new style classes.  I don't claim there is any logic to the code,
but it is just for demo purposes.
--------------------------------------
from numpy import *

class actImage:
   def __init__(self, colorOrder='RGBA'):
      self.colorOrder = colorOrder

class Image(actImage, ndarray):
   def __new__(cls, shape=(1024,768), dtype=float32):
      return ndarray.__new__(cls, shape=shape, dtype=dtype)

x = Image()
assert isinstance(x[0,1], float32)
assert x.colorOrder == 'RGBA'

Running "help(ndarray)" has some useful info as well.

- Charlie