[Numpy-discussion] Slow performance in array protocol with string arrays

Francesc Altet faltet at carabos.com
Wed Jan 4 13:47:08 CST 2006

A Dimecres 04 Gener 2006 18:27, Christopher Barker va escriure:
> > Francesc Altet wrote:
> >> It seems that numarray implementation for the array protocol in string
> >> arrays is very slow for dimensionality > 10:
>
> OK, I'll bite -- what in the world do you need an array of strings with
> dimensionality > 10 for ?

Good question. The fact is that Numeric, numarray and scipy_core has
all been designed to support objects up to 32 (and perhaps 40 in some
cases) dimensions. Why? I must confess that I don't exactly know, but
when your mission is to check every bit of the implementation and push
your package to its limits, you may encounter very funny things that
probably will never be a problem for real users.

Somehow, this kind of issues with high dimensionalities are sometimes
useful for isolating other potential problems. So, yeah, one can say
that they are usally a loss of time, but sometimes they can save your
life (well, kind of ;-).

V   V   Cárabos Coop. V.   Enjoy Data
 "-"