[Numpy-discussion] dtype attribute missing in numarray

Sebastian Haase haase at msg.ucsf.edu
Thu Jan 5 09:29:13 CST 2006

Thanks Todd,
I like this a lot.  Maybe it could be mentioned in the documention - I don't
have any good suggestions on where, I just noticed that 'dtype' is not in the
I assume the following assignment to 'dtype' is not that important !?
>>> na.__version__
'1.5.1'
>>> a = na.arange(10,dtype=na.float32)
>>> a.dtype
Float32
>>> a.dtype = na.int32
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<input>", line 1, in ?
AttributeError: can't set attribute

Also: when / why was it decided that dtypes (float32, int32, ...) should be
lowercase !? Aren't all python types usually uppercase ...

Thanks for all your work.
Sebastian Haase