[Numpy-discussion] Numpy and the old scipy

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Fri Jan 13 01:37:00 CST 2006

Andrea Riciputi wrote:

> Since I use both Numeric and SciPy (the old one) on a daily basis for
> my job, I'd like to know if it's still the case, or if it is now
> possible to install the new numpy package side by side with the old
> scipy (and Numeric as well).

You can install NumPy and Numeric side-by-side just fine.  They use
different name spaces.

In order to install new and old scipy you will definitely need to
install one of them to another location besides site-packages (probably
new scipy).

Then you will need to make sure your sys.path is set up properly to find
the scipy you are interested in using for that session.    In principle
new scipy is almost identical to old scipy except internally it uses
NumPy instead of Numeric.

So, once you convert from Numeric to NumPy, converting to the new scipy
is done (it depends on if you regularly imported scipy_base or
scipy_distutils.  If you did those are gone.  scipy_base--->numpy  and
scipy_distutils--->scipy.distutils.

Keep us posted as to the difficulties as they arise...

-Travis