[Numpy-discussion] The Low-down on numpy/scipy?

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 19:38:01 CST 2006

Ok.  Thanks for trying to clear this up.

Top hit on a google for numpy is here: http://numeric.scipy.org/

In the text it says that "the new scipy used to be called scipy core but not
anymore".  However, right below that in big bold letters it says "New
Features of SciPy Core".  Then the page goes on to consistently refer to it
as scipy core, despite that apparently no longer being the name.  So it's
easy to miss that the name has changed.

Also the only file download link on that page is for the sourceforge site
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=1369&package_id=175103
Which has downloads for NumPy, but also has a prominent news item announcing
the release of scipy_core.  The presence of the news release there led me to
belive that the download for scipy_core would also be located there.

So it would be helpful if the numeric.scipy.org page had a link for
downloading scipy.  The links to the scipy_core presentations just make it
seem all the more like you should be able to download scipy_core from there.

This page: http://new.scipy.org/Wiki/Download could perhaps mention that the
SciPy they are offering is the package formerly known as scipy_core, to
additionally eliminate confusion.

There was another page I was able to get to previously, perhaps
www.scipy.org, but it's not responding now.  Anyway, there was one scipy
page that said basically "information on these pages may be out of date,
there's something new afoot" but I don't seem to recall any handy link
taking me directly to the proper downloads.  Or maybe I was still thinking I
was looking for something called scipy_core, rather than scipy.

Hope that information can help you make the web pages clearer.

Thanks for your help.

--Bill