[Numpy-discussion] Numpy x Matlab: some synthetic benchmarks

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Wed Jan 18 09:05:07 CST 2006

Matthew Brett wrote:
> Hi,
>

>>Travis asked me to benchmark numpy versus matlab in some basic linear
>>algebra operations. Here are the resuts for matrices/vectors of
>>dimensions 5, 50 and 500:
>

> This is really excellent, thanks.  Is there any chance we can make
> these and other benchmarks part of the pre-release testing?  Apart
> from testing for bottlenecks, if we could show that we were in the
> ballpark of matlab for speed for each release, this would be very
> helpful for those us trying to persuade our matlab colleagues to
> switch.

+1

It might not be part of test(1), but at test(10) these tests could be
automatically run, activating each line as each package is found (or not) in
the system (Numeric, numarray, matlab).  This way, people who have matlab on
their box can even get a real-time check of how their fresh-off-svn numpy
fares against matlab that day.

cheers,