[Numpy-discussion] Numpy x Matlab: some synthetic benchmarks

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Wed Jan 18 15:22:10 CST 2006

Perry Greenfield wrote:
> It's not a new idea. I raised it some time ago and I don't think it was

I wasn't claiming authorship, sorry if it sounded like that :)  In fact, I
remember specifically talking with you about this at scipy'03, in the context
of small array performance issues for the at-the-time-nascent numarray, and
I'm sure similar things have been done many times before.  I've had it
floating in my head since I first saw blitz, back in 2001, and blitz probably
got it from...  There's nothing really new under the sun ;)

> new then either. I have to believe that if you allowed only Float64
> (and perhaps a complex variant) and used other restrictions then it
> would be much faster for small arrays. One would think it would be much
> easier to implement than Numeric/numarray/numpy... I've always thought
> that those looking for really fast small array performance would be
> better served by something like this. But you'd really have to fight
> off feature creep. ("This almost meets my needs. If it could only do
> xxx")

Couldn't that last issue be well dealt with by the fact that today's numpy is
fairly subclassing-friendly? (which, if I remember correctly, wasn't quite the
case with at least old Numeric).

Cheers,