[Numpy-discussion] include file location and .eggs

konrad.hinsen at laposte.net konrad.hinsen at laposte.net
Mon Jan 23 09:28:07 CST 2006

On Jan 23, 2006, at 18:07, Andrew Straw wrote:

> Let's say you wanted to have Scientific 2.4.2 depend on Numeric 23.5.
> You'd make sure the call to setup() (which is now imported from
> setuptools, not distutils.core) included the following:

OK, that looks sophisticated enough to me :-)

Since setuptools keeps track of dependencies, it should be able to
provide on demand a list of all include file directories for all
packages on which the current build procedure depends, directly or
indirectly. To stay within my example, a package that depends on
ScientificPython, which in turn depends on Numeric, should be able to
get, with a single call, the include directories for *both*
ScientificPython and Numeric.

Assuming such a mechanism exists, and is also implemented in plain
distutils (returning just the standard installation paths), then
personally I wouldn't care where header files are, because there is a
straightforward way to obtain that information.

However, that is not what is currently being discussed for numpy,
unless I missed something. What is being discussed is an arrangement
that requires the setup.py of every package to reconstruct the
dependency tree and figure out where each package in the dependency
tree keeps its header files.

There is something else that I don't understand. If egg installation
uses setup from setuptools instead of distutils, it should be trivial
for the setup function from setuptools to implement install_headers
in a way that suits its need. So why request that numpy (and other
packages) adapt to setuptools, creating compatibility issues with
standard distutils, rather than modify setuptools and have it work
automatically for all packages?

Konrad.
Konrad Hinsen
Laboratoire Léon Brillouin, CEA Saclay,