[Numpy-discussion] numpy can't use ACML

George Nurser agn at noc.soton.ac.uk
Sat Jan 28 16:37:03 CST 2006

I'm sure this is well known, but I just realized that numpy cannot
use the _dotblas.so that it makes when it is compiled with ACML.
This is because ACML only has the fortran blas libraries, not cblas.

numpy will find the acml libraries and use them to make a _dotblas.so
without complaining, if you have

[blas]
blas_libs = acml
language = f77
  in your site.cfg.

But attempting to import this _dotblas.so gives errors .... so numpy
never actually uses it.
 >>> import _dotblas.so
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: ./_dotblas.so: undefined symbol: cblas_zaxpy

nm _dotblas.so gives a whole stream of undefined cblas_xxxx symbols.

So what are the options? Forget about ACML? Find an optimized cblas
for numpy _dotblas but use the ACML flapack for scipy? Persuade
somebody to write a scipy-style ?f2py interface to generate
_dotblas.so using the fblas?

George Nurser.