[Numpy-discussion] RE: [Numpy-user] possible error with isarrtype

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Tue Jan 31 13:25:15 CST 2006

O'Keefe, Michael wrote:
>> Now, the data-type object itself is the preferred way.  I need to figure
>>  out what to do with these functions now and see if they even have any
>> use anymore.
>

> Thanks Travis.
>
> With regard to what to do with the functions, I only ended up trying them
> because they were there. From my point of view, I'd love to learn how to
> code the "right" way. To that end, any means of informing the user of
> "deprecated" functions (or just taking them out) would be fine with me.
> However, I realize some may have legacy code and so I would defer to their
> opinions.

Python has a proper framework for deprecation warnings.  I'd say we use that,
and Travis can ruthlessly deprecate anything that's just compatibility noise.

Perhaps 1.0 can keep old but deprecated things around (numpy will see a LOT of
use once 1.0 comes out, far more than the current svn testing crowd).  Then,
as of 1.1 or 1.2 or whatever, those can be removed.

Cheers,