[Numpy-discussion] Long live to numpy (and its list as well)

David M. Cooke cookedm at physics.mcmaster.ca
Thu Jan 12 12:41:07 CST 2006

On Jan 12, 2006, at 12:55 , Andrew Straw wrote:

> konrad.hinsen at laposte.net wrote:
>
>> On 12.01.2006, at 18:13, Sebastian Haase wrote:
>>
>>> Obviously there are going to be lots of posts regarding "transition
>>> from
>>> Numeric/numarray to NumPy" -- are they all supposed to cross post !?
>>>
>>> My vote (and that's how I read Konrad's - correct my if I'm wrong)
>>> is to
>>> continue using numpy-discussion and NOT have another lists (numpy-
>>> user) .
>>

>> I agree. It makes sense to have a separate developer list for those
>> who work *on* NumPy, but please let's stick to a single list for
>> users of all Python array packages. Separate lists will encourage a
>> split in the community, and create lots of crosspostings.
>
> I agree as well. In the last days, there have been several posts by
> authors who clearly missed ongoing discussions following from an
> original cross-post because further discussion took place
> exclusively on
> an unsubscribed list. Can we shut down numpy-user? It's only been
> around
> a couple weeks, and I bet everyone subscribed there is also on
> numpy-discussion.

I'd have to agree too. For one thing, the names are too similar: what
really is the difference between -discussion and -user? numpy-
discussion has a long history: this includes archives on
sourceforge.net, gmane.org, and elsewhere, which gives a one-stop
shop for searching archives, instead of having to remember to look up
(or forgetting to look up) in several lists. It's also better for
newcomers to only have one obvious list to post to.

At the moment, I'd also say numpy is still closely linked with scipy
in terms of developers, so a separate numpy-dev list would be premature.