[Numpy-discussion] Numpy x Matlab: some synthetic benchmarks

eric jones eric at enthought.com
Wed Jan 18 11:04:05 CST 2006

In scipy, we talked about having a benchmark_xyz methods that could be
added to the test classes.  These weren't run during unit tests
(scipy.test()) but would could be run using scipy.benchmark() or
something like that.  I can't remember if Pearu got the machinery in
place, but it seems to me it wouldn't be so hard.  You would have to add
guards around benchmarks that compare to 3rd party tools, obviously, so
that people without them could still run the benchmark suite.  Adding a
regression process that checks against results from previous builds to
flag potential problems when a slow down is noted would be good -- that
is more work.

Anyway, something flagging these "tests" as benchmarks instead of
standard correctness tests seems like a good idea.

eric