[Numpy-discussion] Numpy x Matlab: some synthetic benchmarks

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Thu Jan 19 01:29:03 CST 2006

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, Francesc Altet wrote:

> A Dimecres 18 Gener 2006 20:55, Travis Oliphant va escriure:
> > I think the indexing code will be slower because it is more
> > sophisticated than Numeric's.   Basically, it has to check for fancy
> > indexing before defaulting to the old way.   I see this as more of a
> > slow-down than array creation.   It might be possible to improve it ---
> > more eyeballs are always helpful.  But, I'm not sure how at this point.
>
> I'm sure you already know this:
>
> http://oprofile.sourceforge.net
>
> It is a nice way to do profiling at C level on Linux machines. Running
> the Paulo benchmarks through oprofile can surely bring some light.

What might be nice is to use the output of oprofile and
stick it into kcachegrind,
  http://kcachegrind.sourceforge.net/
to get a GUI to the results.

I haven't done this, but according to
  http://linux.com.hk/penguin/man/1/op2calltree.html
the tool is
`op2calltree` - convert OProfile profiling data to KCachegrind calltree format
and further "This utility is part of the KDE Software Development Kit."

Best, Arnd