[Numpy-discussion] array vs. matrix for matlab-compatible stuff

Sven Schreiber svetosch at gmx.net
Thu Jan 19 11:47:01 CST 2006

Sven Schreiber schrieb:

> So you have to use mat(returned-result) again and again to be able to do return-result.I afterwards,

Well I hope the fact that the above line is syntactically scandalous and a good reason to feel
ashamed of myself is not the reason that nobody is answering my previous post .... ;-)

But seriously, isn't there a preferred way to do matrix computations in numpy?
Should I stick with arrays a la "linalg.inv(eye(3))", or does it make more sense to use matrices, as
in "mat(eye(3)).I" ? Or, since both notations seem a little clumsy to me, isn't there an even better
way that maybe even combines the best of both worlds? I definitely have the feeling that I'm missing
something.

_Any_ feedback is highly appreciated,
thanks, Sven