[Numpy-discussion] numpy license file

Bruce Southey bsouthey at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 14:48:03 CST 2006

Hi,
> The Numpy code itself is BSD but the included f2py is LGPL, so it seems
> that the entire package is LGPL.

This is not really correct but I am not a lawyer or license expert nor a
Numpy developer. Just because f2py is (or rather was) LGPL it does not
automatically make all the Numpy code LGPL. If a piece of code is a
derivative of f2py then it must be released as LGPL or with a more
restrictive license that does not violate the LGPL but you can not release
it under a less restrictive license such as BSD. But any piece of code that
is not a derivative of f2py (such as being completely independent of f2py)
can have it own license (that must not violate other licenses).

Exactly what is a derivative is a real mess so seek legal advice.

Regards
Bruce