[Numpy-discussion] Speed performance on array constant set

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Mon Jan 23 08:12:02 CST 2006

Mark Heslep wrote:

> Travis Oliphant wrote:
>
>> First of all,  try using NumPy instead of Numarray:    import numpy
>> as na
>>
> Ive got some NumArray C API investment in the typemaps.  Is the C high
> level API the same, ie. NA_Input, etc?  I havnt found the C API docs
> on the web site.

The high-level C-API is the same as the old Numeric C-API.  The new
numarray C-API is not supported at this point.  However, I would like to
see a numarray compatibility module written so that it is easy to port
numarray-based C-routines (simply by changing the header).

I've started such a thing in scipy/Lib/sandbox/nd_image area.  Look at
these files for guidance:

http://svn.scipy.org/svn/scipy/trunk/Lib/sandbox/nd_image/Src/numcompat.h
http://svn.scipy.org/svn/scipy/trunk/Lib/sandbox/nd_image/Src/numcompat.c

I'm thinking that a module could be written that contains the entire
numarray C-API.

-Travis