[Numpy-discussion] .T Transpose shortcut for arrays again

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Thu Jul 6 06:17:49 CDT 2006

Bill Baxter wrote:
> So in short my proposal is to:
> --  make a.T a property of array that returns a.swapaxes(-2,-1),
> --  make a.H a property of array that returns
> a.conjugate().swapaxes(-2,-1)
> and maybe
> --  make a.M a property of array that returns numpy.asmatrix(a)

I've tentatively implemented all of these suggestions as well as adding
the .A attribute to the ndarray as well (so that all sub-classes and
array scalars can get back a view as an ndarray).

I did this to make it easier to do matrix-like calculations with or
with-out matrices.   Matrix-calculation flexibility is still a sore-spot
for many and I think these syntatical-sugar attributes will help long term.

If there are no strong objections, then the recent  MATH attribute
checkin will stay.  If there are major objections, then we can back them
out without too much trouble as well.

-Travis