[Numpy-discussion] Numpy subversion compatibility with Scipy release?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 13:46:04 CDT 2006

Mark Heslep wrote:
> Is there any general sync point with development Numpy from subversion
> and the SciPy releases?  Ive got Numpy 0.9.9.2761 and Scipy 0.4.9
> installed with (I believe several) breakages, in particular:
>
>> In [8]: from scipy import special
>> /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/scipy/linalg/basic.py
>>      20
>> conjugate,ravel,r_,mgrid,take,ones,dot,transpose,sqrt,add,real
>>      21 import numpy
>> ---> 22 from numpy import asarray_chkfinite, outerproduct,
>> concatenate, reshape, single
>>      23 from numpy import matrix as Matrix
>>      24 import calc_lwork
>>
>> ImportError: cannot import name outerproduct
> I suppose Scipy is not picking up the deprecation of outerproduct.  No
> surprise that bleeding edge Numpy subversion doesn't play with a SciPy
> release; I was just wondering if there generally used/known way to make
> it happen.  Do I need to fall back to a Numpy release? Or move forward
> on SciPy?

The releases are synched such that the numpy version is "twice" (by an
idiosyncratic form of arithmetic) that of the scipy version. numpy 0.9.8 <->
scipy 0.4.9 .

The latest SVN revisions should match (it's a bug, otherwise). numpy 2761 is
recent enough that an SVN checkout of scipy will probably be fine.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco