[Numpy-discussion] NumPy beta release plan

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sun Jul 9 21:08:47 CDT 2006

Christian Kristukat wrote:
> Robert Kern <robert.kern <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I believe that Debian recently changed its configuration to default to
>> /usr/local (for good reason!). Perhaps that is causing what you see.
>
> I just found out that this is feature/bug of opensuse 10.1. I'm beginning to
> like it but can you tell what you have to do to force it install to /usr/lib?

It's probably a good idea to leave it as-is. OS distributions like to control
all files in /usr (except /usr/local) and leave /usr/local for sysadmins and users.

But if you need more control:

http://docs.python.org/inst/alt-install-windows.html (ignore the inappropriate
filename; it talks about alternate installation locations for all platforms)
http://docs.python.org/inst/config-syntax.html

> Btw. (OFF TOPIC) have you noticed that the scipy mailing list is just
> swallowing mails but not spreading them?

No. That could be a problem on our end. Please let Jeff Strunk
<jstrunk at enthought.com> know about it. If you can provide details like a local
copy of the email that got sent and swallowed, that would be very good.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco