[Numpy-discussion] NumPy beta release plan

Russell E. Owen rowen at cesmail.net
Mon Jul 10 13:17:02 CDT 2006

In article <44AF5BFA.70509 at ieee.org>,
 Travis Oliphant <oliphant.travis at ieee.org> wrote:

> 3) C-API names have prefix PyArray_ (like always), NPY_ or npy_.
>
>    The NPY_ and npy_ prefixes are new and were done to remove the
>    likelihood of name collisions when NumPy is used with another
>    library.  The old (and un-prefixed) names are accessible by
>    importing numpy/noprefix.h  instead of numpy/arrayobject.h

This may be too late or too picky, but...

This seems like too many choices, leading to possible confusion when
reading other people's extensions or the numpy code itself. Could you
standardize on one (I like npy_) or two (if you have to keep PyArray_
for some reason and can't put it in a backwards-compatibility header
somewhere).

Overall it's great. I'm really glad to hear you're so close to freezing
the features.

-- Russell