[Numpy-discussion] Args for rand and randn: call for a vote

Sasha ndarray at mac.com
Wed Jul 12 13:33:40 CDT 2006

Let me repeat my suggestion that was lost in this long thread:

Add rands(shape, dtype=float, min=default_min(dtype), max=default_max(dtype))
to the top level. Suitable defaults can be discussed.  A more flexible
variation could
be rands(shape, dtype=float, algorithm=default_algorithm(dtype)), but
that would probably be an overkill.

I think this will help teaching: rands is similar to zeros and ones,
but with few bells and whistles to be covered in the graduate course.