[Numpy-discussion] What to do about numarray extension modules?

Victoria G. Laidler laidler at stsci.edu
Tue Jul 18 15:23:14 CDT 2006

I'm a numarray user that relies on convolve.

I would hope that one of the criteria by which to make such decisions is
"make the transition for numarray and numeric users as painless as
possible". Changing namespaces and introducing additional dependencies
is not painless. Thus unless there is a *compelling* argument to move
them out, I would leave them in.

(From the numarray-user point of view, it would be "moving them out"
even though they aren't there yet.)

Personally I wouldn't think that "numpy is big enough already" or "it
fits better in scipy" to be compelling reasons. So, +1 to include them
in numpy.

That said, personally I would argue that convolve is qualitatively
different from image and ndimage. Convolution is a common mathematical
operation on arrays; thus I think it belongs in numpy.

If any or all of them are not included in numpy, I would strongly prefer
a small separate package than to put them in scipy. I try to minimize
dependencies in my code; I really don't want to suddenly depend on all
of scipy just so I can do a convolution!

Vicki Laidler