[Numpy-discussion] matrix-related bug in 1.0b1

Sven Schreiber svetosch at gmx.net
Fri Jul 21 10:08:08 CDT 2006

Hi,

I eagerly installed the new beta, but soon stumbled over this
bug. I hope I'm missing something, but afaics that behavior used to be
different (and correct) before in 0.9.8. Don't know exactly when this
changed, though. I did a fresh install (uninstalled old numpy and also
matplotlib first) of the official binary for windows/python 2.4.

Example:

>>> import numpy as n
>>> n.__version__
'1.0b1'
>>> import numpy.matlib as m
>>> a = n.zeros((2,3))
>>> b = m.zeros((2,3))
>>> a[:1,:].shape
(1, 3)
>>> b[:1,:].shape
(3, 1)

Note the array slicing works correct, but the equivalent thing with the
matrix does not.

I also noticed the following (in a new python session) import strangeness:

>>> import numpy
>>> numpy.matlib.zeros((2,3))
Traceback (most recent call last):
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'matlib'

Why is the direct access to matlib impossible?

Either I'm missing something (I well may be, because I'm melting away at
36 centigrades or so...), or imho a new beta should be put out quickly
to enable further testing (and use).

Thanks,
Sven