[Numpy-discussion] Please comment on SVN versioning convention

Sasha ndarray at mac.com
Mon Jul 24 16:49:37 CDT 2006

On 7/24/06, Travis Oliphant <oliphant.travis at ieee.org> wrote:
> Andrew Straw has emphasized that the current strategy of appending the
> SVN version number to development versions of the SVN tree makes it hard
> to do version sorting.

I am not sure what the problem is, but if the concern is that

>>> '0.9.9.2803' > '0.9.9'
True

I suggest fixing that by appending '.final' to the release version string:

>>> '0.9.9.2803' > '0.9.9.final'
False

If we are going to make any changes in this area, I would suggest
following python sys and define three variables: numpy.version (human
readable string including compiler info),
numpy.version_info (sortable tuple) and  numpy.hexversion (sortable
integer that can be used by C preprocessor).

I am not sure if python sys includes svn revision number in
sys.version (I don't have svn version of python around), but it does
include it in beta sys.version:

>>> print sys.version
2.5b2 (r25b2:50512, Jul 18 2006, 15:22:50)
[GCC 3.4.4 20050721 (Red Hat 3.4.4-2)]