[Numpy-discussion] Please comment on SVN versioning convention

Andrew Straw strawman at astraw.com
Mon Jul 24 17:47:07 CDT 2006

Sasha wrote:

>On 7/24/06, Andrew Straw <strawman at astraw.com> wrote:
>[snip]
>

>>The concern is that there are a bazillion ways of sorting version
>>numbers but the version numbers from numpy's current svn tree don't sort
>>with (m)any of them. Sorting strings in Python is one way, using
>>setuptools or debian's dpkg are other ways.
>>

>Sorting numbers as strings is a problem no matter what tools you use.
>'1000' is sorted before '999' in every tool I know of. The only proper
>way to solve this problem is to make svn revision available as an
>integer and sort them as integers. This integer may go in version_info
>tuple or in a separate variable.  The same information may be encoded
>into a sortable string using appropriate padding, but I don't see much
>need for that.

Yes, I only brought up version numbers as strings because you did. I'm
not proposing we solve that problem. I see setuptools, in particular, as
the biggest thing to support, because it lets you have multiple versions
installed simultaneously. And I don't know how to force its hand, or
even if it's possible.

>Do you expect creating debian's dpkg from a
>non-release version?

Yes. I do personally (see http://debs.astraw.com/dapper/ for example)
and I'm sure others do, as well. You can see from that archive that I've
been dealing with this issue by adding appropriate suffixes or prefixes.
(Forcing its hand.)