[Numpy-discussion] fixing diag() for matrices

Keith Goodman kwgoodman at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 08:07:49 CDT 2006

Every time I want to make a diagonal matrix from a vector I have to do
a google search. So I'm with you Sven:

diag(NxN matrix) should return a Nx1 matrix
diag(Nx1 or 1xN matrix) should return a NxN matrix

instead of the current behavior:

diag(NxN matrix) returns an array
diag(Nx1 matrix) returns a 1x1 array

matrix([[ 0.43298158,  0.84572719],