[Numpy-discussion] Call for a vote on .M .A .T .H attributes

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 10:20:42 CDT 2006

Does anyone use transpose for anything besides two dimensional arrays? For
arrays that aren't matrices at heart the meaning of transpose is pretty
arbitrary, so the only virtue I see in having an attribute would be less
typeing. So put it in the documentation. As an aside, being able to specify
axis in dot might obviate many cases of *.T and *.H and make inner a special
case.

> > 1) .T  Have some kind of .T attribute

 +1

> >    If >0 on this then:
> >
> >    a) .T == .swapaxes(-2,-1)

-1

>    b) .T == .transpose()

+1

>    c) .T raises error for ndim > 2

-1

> >    d) .T returns (N,1) array for length (N,) array

-1

>    e) .T returns self for ndim < 2

+1

> > 2) .H  returns .T.conj()

+1

> > 3) .M  returns matrix version of array

no opinion.

> > 4) .A  returns basearray (useful for sub-classes).

no opinion

Chuck