[Numpy-discussion] logspace behaviour/documentation

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Mon Jul 10 00:59:14 CDT 2006

Hi Alan,

sorry, for answering so late - your message slipped through ...

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006, Alan Isaac wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jun 2006, T) Arnd Baecker wrote:
> > I am wondering a bit about the the behaviour of logspace:
>
> http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/ref/logspace.html
>
> fwiw,

Alright, if one wants to keep compatibility with matlab, the behaviour
of logspace should be unchanged.

I'd suggest that something along

def logspace(start,stop,num=50,endpoint=True,base=10.0):
    """Evenly spaced numbers on a logarithmic scale.

    Return 'int(num)' evenly spaced samples on a logarithmic scale from
    'base'**'start' to 'base'**'stop'.  If 'endpoint' is True, the
    last sample is 'base'**'stop'."""

is clearer than the present one

Docstring:
    Evenly spaced numbers on a logarithmic scale.

    Computes int(num) evenly spaced exponents from start to stop.
    If endpoint=True, then last exponent is stop.
    Returns base**exponents.

(Note that I am not a native speaker - surprise - ;
so maybe the present one is already clear enough?)

Best, Arnd