[Numpy-discussion] What's wrong with matrices?

Jonathan Taylor jonathan.taylor at utoronto.ca
Tue Jul 11 15:07:40 CDT 2006

I agree the real problem with matrices is they seem awkward to work
with compared to arrays because numpy seems so array centric.  The
only advantage I see is getting .T to do transposes and * to do matrix
multiplication.  I hope numpy reaches a point where it is as natural
to use matrices as arrays.  I'd also vote for the inclusion of the
following two functions col and row.  Inspired by R equivelents they
let you do some indexing very easily such as getting the values of the
upper triangle of the matrix.  E.g.

vals = m[row(m) > col(m)]

Cheers,
Jon.

def col(m):
    """col(m) returns a matrix of the same size of m where each element
    contains an integer denoting which column it is in.  For example,

    >>> m = eye(3)
    >>> m
    array([[1, 0, 0],
           [0, 1, 0],
           [0, 0, 1]])
    >>> col(m)
    array([[0, 1, 2],
           [0, 1, 2],
           [0, 1, 2]])
    """
    assert len(m.shape) == 2, "should be a matrix"
    return N.indices(m.shape)[1]

def row(m):
    """row(m) returns a matrix of the same size of m where each element
    contains an integer denoting which row it is in.  For example,

    >>> m = eye(3)
    >>> m
    array([[1, 0, 0],
           [0, 1, 0],
    >>> row(m)
    array([[0, 0, 0],
           [1, 1, 1],

    """
    assert len(m.shape) == 2, "should be a matrix"
    return N.indices(m.shape)[0]