[Numpy-discussion] bdist_rpm failure

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 01:02:26 CDT 2006

On 7/11/06, Travis Oliphant <oliphant.travis at ieee.org> wrote:
> Make sure you get rid of the MANIFEST file in the source directory
> before trying to run sdist or bdist_rpm. The MANIFEST file is not being
> deleted when it is dated...

Since both numpy/scipy have a MANIFEST.in, this bit of code (from
ipython's setup.py) is probably a good idea to put in:

# BEFORE importing distutils, remove MANIFEST. distutils doesn't properly
# update it when the contents of directories change.
if os.path.exists('MANIFEST'): os.remove('MANIFEST')

I committed this as I don't see any problem with it (ipython has used
it for years).  Feel free to revert if you object.

I also added
#!/usr/bin/env python

to both of them.  They were set as executable scripts but without a
proper shebang line, causing the interesting mis-behavior of being
treated like shell scripts.  Which means the first

import os

line would simply give you a weird-looking cross-hairs cursor, and a
gigantic file called 'os' sitting on your directory once you clicked.
Why?  That's the ImageMagick 'import' command, which takes a
screenshot in X bitmap format :)

This one bit me a few times, so I decided to also fix it, but feel
free to revert if you see a good reason for the existing behavior.

Cheers,