[Numpy-discussion] Args for rand and randn, and workarounds

Stefan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Wed Jul 12 04:00:56 CDT 2006

On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 05:47:15PM +0900, Bill Baxter wrote:
> On 7/12/06, Travis Oliphant <oliphant.travis at ieee.org> wrote:
>

>     Because of this.  I've removed the global_namespace functions (fft,
>     ifft, rand, and randn) from numpy.  They are *no longer* in the
>     top-level name-space.   If you want them, setup a startup-file
>     appropriately.
>

> Any hints as to where we can find them now?
> (more generally -- how is one supposed to find stuff in big python packages to
> begin with?  Like -- "show me anything with 'rand' in the name".)

It is in numpy.random.rand.  If you are using ipython, you can do

import numpy
numpy.*rand*?

which will print out a list of all members that contain "rand".  In
this case numpy.random.

To do a deeper search, use pydoc.  You can start it with

pydoc -g

which should pop up a graphical interface, where you can type in a
search term.  Click on the results to open the appropriate
documentation web page.

> Also, numpy.matlib.rand() needs to be updated to point to the new location as
> well.

Already fixed in SVN.

Cheers
Stéfan