[Numpy-discussion] Args for rand and randn, and workarounds

Sven Schreiber svetosch at gmx.net
Wed Jul 12 05:21:05 CDT 2006

Travis Oliphant schrieb:

> Because of this.  I've removed the global_namespace functions (fft,
> ifft, rand, and randn) from numpy.  They are *no longer* in the
> top-level name-space.   If you want them, setup a startup-file
> appropriately.

Ok I'm glad that's settled; however, do I understand correctly (after
looking at the new numpy.matlib for the first time), that
numpy.matlib.rand() still doesn't accept tuples, and that the
tuple-accepting "full" version is not exposed in numpy.matlib?

If so, it would be perfect if numpy.matlib could be augmented by a
matrix analogue pointing to numpy.random.random() or whatever its full
name is. Then the situation for matrix users is actually quite nice,
just have to import everything from numpy.matlib.

Thanks,
Sven