[Numpy-discussion] RandomArray module

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 12:26:34 CDT 2006

Sebastian Żurek wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Has anyone worked with the RandomArray module? I wonder,
> if it's OK to use its pseudo-random numbers generators, or
> maybe I shall find more trusted methods (ie. ran1 from Numerical Recipes)?

At this point in time, I don't recommend using RandomArray if you can avoid it.
The RANLIB library that underlies it is quite well respected, but it is also
quite old. The field has moved on since it was written. ran1 is no better.

If you can make the leap to numpy instead of Numeric, the PRNG we use is the
Mersenne Twister which beats the pants off RANLIB and anything from NR.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco